jeudi 28 novembre 2013

Overall reflexion


I’ve changed a lot as a language learner through my internship experience. The change consisted in the achievement of my initial goals and of the strategies I used to do so. My language level has improved and I learned a few interesting facts about myself.


Goals

I was aiming to become as fluent in English as I am in French. Overall, I can’t really say that I achieved this goal because my French is still much better than my English. But this is because my French is almost perfect as I speak it since I’m 5 years old and I read a lot of books. I believe it is hard to learn perfectly English in a few months.  Maybe I aimed a little bit too high.

Nevertheless, I can honestly say that I communicate more easily than before, my accent has improved and sometimes, I even think or talk to myself in English! What helped to get better were the people I worked and interacted with as well as the confidence I feel within.


Strategies 

I really used every single one of the strategies I chose in the beginning: the mnemonic techniques, the low-inhibition approach, the guessing technique as well as the practicing and repeating methods. The one that worked out best for me was the guessing technique and the one that didn’t serve me much was the mnemonic one. It’s really constructive to know which strategy works best for you because it is something that can be used daily, when trying to understand a stranger who asks you information, for instance.


Language

I’ve noticed a significant change in my pronunciation and in my vocabulary, which is richer than it used to be. I’ve learned many words and expressions that I’ve never heard of before and that can enhance my conversations. The easiest part was the sentence structure, as I was already bilingual and as I’ve never had trouble with that. The harshest part was to actually improve my accent, as there are three other languages where it can feed on and change in the middle of a sentence.


Growth

I’ve learned that I’m a very adaptable person and that new environments stimulate me instead of scaring me. I’ve also learned that I need a career where I will be able to “move” more than in a library: I want something more challenging.

Now I see the Anglophone culture from a different eye: I used to believe that they were less friendly that the French speakers. I realized I was wrong: they simply don’t show as easily this friendly part of themselves and they are more reserved.


The internship 


I gained a great immersion experience, I met interesting people and I improved my English! I’m fully satisfied with my experience and I wouldn’t change anything.


Gratitude

I wrote Aude a card to thank her. Here’s how it goes:

Dear Aude,
Thank you so much for the marvelous internship
experience I had at your library!
You’ve truly been a great host. Your patience
and kindness were really appreciated and it’s been
a pleasure working with you.  
Sincerely,
Yévgeniya, your intern

The placement 

I would recommend it but not to anyone: it has to be a responsible person who enjoys tranquility… and books!

 
To conclude, I am really pleased with my internship experience and I’m happy with my newly-improved English.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire