jeudi 31 octobre 2013

Total immersion!

Here is the summary of what I've experienced so far...

Linguistic interference… because it happens!
When learning a second, third or fourth language, one can get a little mixed up!

Here’s what happens to me every now and then: because of the languages I use throughout the day (and sometimes I use the four of them!) I can get confused and let the patterns of the other languages, such as the word order, affect my English.
There’s also the accent problem. I often say English word with either French or Spanish accent. For instance, when I leave messages to people whose books are overdue, I say, “… or return them at your earliest convenience.” The word convenience is always giving me a lot of trouble! I believe I pronounce it conviniance but I cannot seem to say it correctly. Nevertheless, I am convinced that I will achieve my goal of pronouncing properly because I have the opportunity to practice it a lot in my internship.

The immersion experience

It is easier to acquire the language in an immersion situation because you simply have no choice. Hearing people around you speaking a language encourages you to do the best you can to be on the same level. It’s even better than in a classroom because you won’t be helped by anyone: you’re on your own.
I actively used the techniques I chose and the ones that showed the best results are the repeating technique, the low-inhibition technique as well as the practicing technique. Because my inhibition is low, I am not shy to repeat what people say around me and this gives me a chance to practice. It is all related, in my opinion.

It is the first time I work in an all-English environment and it’s one big challenge. To be productive and to work well in a language that isn’t your first or your second language, this is the real challenge.
New words, new expressions!
I also got the opportunity to learn words that were unknown for me. For example the word E book, that means livre numérique, was new for me. Here is an expression that pleased very much: “A village of 200 souls” I can see myself using it to tell bedtime stories to my children…

To conclude, I can sincerely say that this experience enriches day by day my English vocabulary and my love for books!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire